Monday, May 12, 2008

Beauty at all costs?

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/04/25/celebrity-plastic-surgery-what-not-to-do/?WT.mc_id=HL-D-I-NYT-MOD-MOD-M042-OP-0408-HDR&WT.mc_ev=click&mkt=HL-D-I-NYT-MOD-MOD-M042-OP-0408-HDR

Manufactured beauty isn't beautiful. As is attested in this article on "What not to do during cosmetic surgery". My boss said something interesting last week that he attributed to Sir Richard Dahl: Die young at the highest possible age. To me this is about living as fully as you can, treating yourself as well as you can, loving yourself and others as well as you can. And not wasting time on creating illusions.

Take a look at the celebrity slide show on "How celebrities are aging". It's entertaining (and in some cases, scary). http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23359042/from/ET/

And on an unrelated note, read more on Clinton's inelegance:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/10/opinion/10herbert.html?ex=1211256000&en=1c5fe340a5e46bb3&ei=5070&emc=eta1

3 comments:

Kath said...

I've been noticing a lot of women who are getting Botoxed (or something)--their top lips don't move! They could say the word "who" without pursing their lips! It's so frightening to me...

I also saw Cher on Oprah--her face doesn't move at all. I read someone (Susan Sarandon maybe?) saying she didn't do such enhancements because her job requires her face to move!

I know I probably shouldn't be so judgmental, but I really just don't understand the compulsion to alter your face...

emmy said...

I agree -- but would add: I don't understand the compulsion to alter your body. Other unpretty things: gigantic, fake breasts, manufactured booties, knee lifts etc.

Cellulite isn't pretty but liposuction seems like an aggressive and harsh solution.

We can't be 20 forever. There are worse things.

lala mama said...

ohmigawd - what hath progress, technology or cosmeceuticals wrought - a generation of freeks - eek. I'll keep my wrinkles (I earned each one honestly); I'll keep my droopy eyelids (I've always been attracted to sexy bedroom eyes); I'll keep my skin even if it's not as tight as it used to be (but you shoulda seen me back in da day - snap); I'd rather not have a chickeny neck but it comes with age, the stress of dealing with life's issues, and besides, it brings the wisdom that makes 'ah ha' moments come more frequently; I'm a little rounder (the gut) and a little flatter (the butt) than I'd like but I'm working on it by swimming and dancing every chance I get and I have a walking partner three days a week and whenever I visit Michelle I let her dominatrix abuse me under the guise of yoga and hey y'all younguns, I can still drop it down when I want to...heh, heh, ha, ha!