Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Virtual Persona


Was talking to a dance buddy last weekend about an experience she had last Saturday night. She met friends in an upscale coffee shop in the early evening. Everyone there was hooked up to a laptop and/or an MP3 player. They were also mostly alone. She and her friends were the only ones there to enjoy face-to-face contact. She said it was sad to see so many people not engaged in "real connections".

As I sit here in my bed next to Pamela, tapping on my laptop I wonder: What are we seeking with our online interactions? Who are we when we're veiled by our fiber optic cloak? Why are our electronic personas trumping our flesh personas?

And on a completely unrelated note, see this site for some fun faux shizzle (alcohol-free drink) recipes: http://www.sheckys.com/Boston/nightlife/faux_shizzle_non_45_alcoholic_drinks_5489.asp

3 comments:

Kev said...

love the photo! interesting topic, shugala! and how ironic that you post it on a blog and that we must reply/converse electronically with no face-to-face interaction! ; ) I love dealing with things online sometimes cuz it gives me a chance to edit myself and be extra clever. dealing with folks in person can get messy, but online you simply have to log off and poof! that person is out of your life (at least for the moment). That being said, I don't think a real friendship/relationship, etc. can last long without face time (and I don't mean via webcam either!). There's just something about being with the people you love and sharing life in "real" time that simply cannot be duplicated or simulated or captured online. A "ha ha ha" is not nearly enjoyable as hearing your best friend bust out laughing and seeing him/her with tears in their eyes from laughing so hard! What the heck are today's and future generations of kids going to do when there's a blackout and their computers don't work? Will they know how to live? how to be human?

gemini72 said...

hmmmm...very interesting topic! As I was reading your post Shug, I found myself saying, "what is wrong with that"..that is, with the kids sitting their connected to all their "gadgets"...i think i like the "online" thing for similar reasons to kev...now if all my interactions were as carefree as they are with the colewaters then of course i would prefer face-to-face. But, alas, most of my face-to-face interactions are filled with an intense insecurity (perhaps this is part of being a doc student)...

Emmy said...

i hear you. but i include the rough patches in the category of things that enhance my life. ]like the cowardly lion: i loves to fight but not when i there's a danger of getting beat up!

i drum up trouble when e'rythang is running too smoothly. for me the peace and quiet isn't the highest state.