Friday, November 2, 2007

the best popcorn ever

hello blog-mates,

i recently ordered some popcorn from this company that offered two free bags (if i paid for shipping)..well, it was the BEST popcorn ever. So, i am now on this "gourmet popcorn" kick where i can't get enough gourmet popcorn..anyhoo, i recently went to NYC for a class on "missing data" in research (i know, my life is so much fun)..while in the airport I noticed that the company that sells the popcorn has a store in the airport so i stopped by and asked if they had the flavor of popcorn i had just ordered and quickly devoured a few days earlier. Well, the store clerk told me that they don't sell that flavor (toffee and walnuts) in the store because some folks have peanut allergies..so, he gave me a $20 gift card. So you know i quickly ordered more and my tin of popcorn came today and i just opened it and OMG it is sooo good. So, if the next time you see me and I am 10 lbs heavier it is that damn gourmet popcorn (it is soooo good)...well, if they are still doing the promotional where they are only charging for shipping, i highly recommend it. i am sure my current fixation with gourmet popcorn will be gone soon, but for now i can't get enough! oh, and the name of the company is dale and thomas popcorn: http://www.daleandthomaspopcorn.com

3 comments:

Emmy said...

thank you for keeping the light on on the blog!

i share a similar food obsession for pretzels -- not your ordinary pretzels (most pretzels rank pretty high on my snack list...way ahead of pcorn and chips) but martins pennslyvania dutch pretzels.

i discovered these yeasty lovers more than 10 years ago in union square farmer's market in nyc. they were sort of popularized at the height of the "sex in the city" craze. really cute boys that love to flirt sell 'em. charlotte or miranda mentioned them. they look like gender queer skate boarders but i digress...my interest predated the show.

the pretzels are a simple combo of yeast, salt and water. they're super hard -- almost hard enough to break your teeth. they're covered in big salt crystals. i like to suck them saltless then crunch them to yeasty pulp before they go soft. they're human dog biscuits -- my teeth feel cleaner after eating them!

you can buy them broken or perfectly intact one at a time or in insane numbers. they're packaged in clear plastic bags enclosed with an unassuming twist tie.

the pretzels boys always give me a free one to munch on while they assemble my order (this treatment is extended to all!). it evokes fuzzy feelings of being at my mum's knee and being fed a gizzard while she fried chicken.

whenever i go to nyc i pick up a vat o pretzels (they go great with chevre. there's a peppered variety sold a few stands away that's amazing!). i buy so many i attract attention from cute gay boy who wonder aloud where the hell i'm going with all of those pretzels.

the last time i was there one of pretzel boys told me they're sold online after i mentioned that i flew in from boston for a pretzel infusion. oh joy! to save on shipping i bought a 10-lb case - a perverse number of pretzels. pam suggested that i bag them up into sensible snack bag servings.

nah! there's something joyful about thrusting my hand down deep into a huge box of crusty hard ass dough. i can't explain it but i love it! these babies will last me well into 2008.

gemini72 said...

I'm not a big fan of pretzels but Kev loves them...i will ask him if he has had your martins Pennsylvania dutch pretzels..although back during my "manorexic" days I would only eat a small bag of pretzels and juice for lunch (could never be too thin)...

oh, and good think you clarified that everyone gets to "sample" the pretzels while they wait, cuz you know i was thinking, "there goes Shug again, gettin' the hook-up" ;)

Emmy said...

i knew you'd think i was working my mojo by getting a freebie but no everyone gets one, miss thang.