Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Yet another reason to love Jill Scott

OK, so part of my infosnacking is to check out afrobella.com every day. The woman who writes it is great, talks about life, politics and beauty products. I read it to tell Leona what to do for her hair as she grows it out (seriously...).

Yesterday she posted this entry (http://afrobella.com/?p=387) about a Jill Scott interview...you gotta read it. I will always, always, always love Jill Scott for this story & am adding it to my bag o' tricks.

Big smooches to you all in Boston.
xoxo

2 comments:

gemini72 said...

I love Jill Scott too!! "Who is Jill Scott?" is one of my favorite CDs of all time. I can't believe she has never been called a n*gger. Where did she grow up? When I was a kid, it was a good day when I was not called that word when I was in grades 1-3...and then it was periodically when I entered middle school and then never in high school. Unfortunately I am not as enlightened as Ms Scott. It still hurts a bit when I hear it/called it.

Emmy said...

I've never been called the "N" word. Even still I've been psychically harmed by the threat of being called an "N".

When I'm badly treated I first wonder if it's racial. Intellectually though, I am eventually drawn to other high-minded conclusions, like "he's a prick", "she's a jerk".

In my innermost place I fear the "N" threat. It began when my mom took me out of my all-black world at age 9. My neighborhood school was all-black and substandard (this was where my sister was sent to the principal's office for reading Richard Wright's 'Black Boy" under her desk as the other second graders took turns reading aloud from the Dick and Jane primer). My mom worked hard to send us to an alternative public school in Greenwich Village.

The rejection from racism was a trip! It took me awhile to name and "get" it. I was smart, opinionated. You couldn't tell me nothing (still can't, truth be told). All of this was complicated by the fact that this transition took place at the height of the black power movement (which was literal to my 9 year old self).