Sunday, December 30, 2007

New Year's Resolutions

I made progress with last year's resolutions and will continue to work on them in the upcoming year:
(1) added yoga to my body work. One of my fierce/strong dance buddies suggested I practice yoga to improve my overall physicality and de-stress. I now practice 2Xs per week and recently decided to do more on my own. In the beginning I experienced very intense emotions like fear during the class but I pushed past this. I've always been flexible but now I'm now able to move in new ways and I'm stronger. In the upcoming year I want to develop the discipline to quiet my mind practice own my own;
(2) I was determined in 2007 to begin to invest independent of my employee tax deferred annuity AND independent of the Mrs. I opened a money market account. I've made modest gains and I've proven to myself that I can;
(3)remained conscious of my weight AND refused to hate my body even as it changes.

In 2008 I plan to:
(1) strengthen my back. My lower back holds my body's stress. It's stiffened a bit this past year. I'm not able to ripple it in dance class as I used to. I'm determined to see how fluid and strong it will become with purposeful work. I also want to drop and do 25 GI Jane push-ups without breaking a sweat;
(2) help someone other than myself (that is, go beyond writing checks). It's been two years since the Princess/Big Sister debacle. My calling may not be mentoring young girls but I'm ready to try something again.

Rob Brezsney's has some interesting, wheel-greasing advice http://www.freewillastrology.com/horoscopes/allsigns.html

Addendum: Sociologist's advice on how to honor our resolutions: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=17759821


What's on your mind for 2008?

2 comments:

Kath said...

I always do birthday resolutions...it's a more meaningful day for me than Jan 1, and it's not that far off from Jan 1, so it's like I get a running start on the rest of you! ha ha ha

Anyway, this year, I have decided I want to be more responsible--not in an old fuddy duddy way, but taking better care of myself, not avoiding stuff that scares me, and really spending my time on things that are important to me, so that at the end of the day/week/year, I did what I wanted, and my behavior matched what I say I value.

M, yoga is great for bringing your body back into alignment. I got more lower back relief from a good yoga practice than I did from months of chiropractic care. I also learned that what manifested in my lower back really came from tight hips...

Emmy said...

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY, KATH!!!!

I hope your day was fun-filled. Birthdays are usually my version of Yom Kippur -- a day of reflection and atonement. The tone of it is somewhat sad...Your resolution, conscious living, is challenging and interesting. It's hard, satisfying work to be true to yourself.

Tight hips you say? I do get a lot of satisfaction when I do anything that opens my hips. I'll pay attention to this in the future. I think my back stress comes in part from not tucking my tail bone. I am always slightly sway backed.